Melbourne Town Hall 

 

Melbourne Town Hall is a landmark in Melbourne, Australia. Built between 1886 and 1889, the Town Hall was designed in the Romanesque Revival style by architects Reed and Barnes. Completed in 1889, the building stands 180 meters tall, including the tower. The tower is 56 meters tall and contains a five-story high clock face.

Melbourne is the capital of Victoria and a city in Australia’s south-eastern region. First established in 1835, Melbourne was named in honor of England’s Queen Victoria. The city has grown to become one of Australia’s major economic hubs, with a diverse economy that includes finance, manufacturing, the arts, education, tourism, and information technology. Melbourne’s central business district, also known as “CBD”, is home to the majority of the city’s financial, retail, cultural and political institutions. The CBD encompasses approximately 15% of Melbourne’s landmass and is home to approximately 55% of the city’s population. Melbourne’s CBD is one of Australia’s largest CBDs and is the second-largest in Australia after Sydney’s.

The Melbourne Town Hall, dating from a time before the creation of the modern city, was a key building in the expansion of Melbourne. Originally the site of the town’s original 1839 courthouse, it was the site of early civic events and a venue for public meetings. The building was damaged by fire in 1887 and was extended by the architect J.J.M. Watson in 1890.

Designed by S.R. Crown and completed in 1888, the Architecture of Melbourne Town Hall was one of the first buildings of its kind in Australia. The original Town Hall was completed in the 1850s. However, due to the increased population, the Town Council decided to construct a new Town Hall on the same site.

This is an early 20th-century painting by Victorian artist William Salter (1864-1936). It was in a private collection until 1976. It was purchased by the State Art Collection and later gifted to the Town of Melbourne. It is an oil painting on canvas, measuring 96 x 96 cm. It is one of the earliest works by Salter and his first significant public commission. The painting has been attributed to Salter’s brother, George Salter (1876-1949), though it is more likely to have been painted by William. The painting shows the destruction of St Paul’s Cathedral by the Great Fire of London in 1666.

Melbourne Town Hall was built in 1899 to replace the old fire station as a place for Melbourne’s Town Commissioners to sit and conduct business, and there were several additions made to the building to accommodate the growing city. The Town Hall is significant to Australian culture. It is one of the best-preserved public buildings in Melbourne, and the only public hall of its kind in Australia.

On 1st September, the construction of a new town hall to replace the previous one on the same site is completed and the new town hall is officially opened. On the 12th of November, the old town hall is demolished.