East Geelong, Victoria 

 

The East Geelong region is located east of Geelong, Victoria and stretches from the Princes Highway to Werribee. It has a population of over 60,000 people, making it one of the largest regional populations in Victoria. It is a suburb in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 32 km east of Melbourne’s central business district.

East Geelong is in the local government area of Waurn Ponds City Council. 

The suburbs of East Geelong are Newcom,South Geelong and Thomson and its post code is 3219. 

These are the landmarks how to go to East Geelong : 

  • Eastern Park South Playground
  • Eastern Park Horticultural Centre
  • Geelong Conference Centre
  • Traill fountain

East Geelong contains a number of heritage listed sites, including:

  • 141 Ormond Road, Eastern Cemetery Gatehouse
  • 1-55 Garden Street, Eastern Park and Geelong Botanic Gardens
  • 1-55 Garden Street, First Geelong Customs House
  • Hearne Parade, Limeburners Point Lime Kiln Complex

Geelong Eastern Cemetery is a cemetery located in the city of Geelong, Victoria in Australia. The cemetery dates back to 1839.The cemetery contains the war graves of 45 Commonwealth service personnel. There are 9 from World War I and 36 from World War II

The 81-hectare Eastern Park is located in East Geelong. It is Geelong’s premier regional park and an important recreation focus for central Geelong. The Geelong Botanic Gardens are located at its centre.

The Geelong Customs House is a bluestone and freestone classical style public building in Geelong, Victoria, built in 1855. It replaced a small timber prefabricated building of 1838, which was later relocated to the Geelong Botanic Gardens.

The Customs House was erected near the Geelong foreshore to serve the needs of the colonial administration during the peak of the gold rushes. The building was designed by John James Clark and constructed by William Crocker Cornish in April 1855. The Geelong Customs House is listed on the Victorian Heritage Register, and City of Greater Geelong Heritage Overlay. The building is no longer used for its original purpose, but was restored in 2012, winning a National Trust Award, and now houses offices and the ‘Custom House Restaurant and Wine Bar’.

The Lime Kiln Complex at Limeburners Point in Geelong consists of the visible ruined remains of two of five brick lime kilns built into the side of the escarpment.

The kilns date from the 1860s and 1870s, lime burning ceased on the site in the 1880s. All the kilns have basalt retaining walls, brick access vaults to the base of the kiln and brick lined chimneys (filled in).

East Geelong has an Australian Rules football team competing in the Geelong & District Football League. Golfers play at the course of the East Geelong Golf Club at Eastern Gardens.

East Geelong  lies between Geelong and the Princes Highway and borders Kerang. East Geelong’s main commercial area is along the Princes Highway, with further commercial, retail and residential activity along the main street. East Geelong’s local government area is the Shire of Pakenham. The suburb was settled in 1862 by Captain Henry Williams, who named the area “Gerringong”, after his hometown of Geelong, Australia.

The population in East Geelong is 17,800. In 2016, 51% of the dwellings in East Geelong were houses, 21% were apartments, 22% were flats and 7% were other dwelling types.

East Geelong has local shopping centres at the intersections of Garden Street and Ormond Road and Breakwater and St Albans roads. It also offers quick access to the city centre.

Two main roads and bus routes traverse the small suburb but the many enclosed courts and avenues give East Geelong privacy.

When East Geelong began growing, there was no place to meet, play or train. So, the council asked the community for ideas on where to build a sports complex. Local residents provided the council with 50 options, including wetlands and gardens, a skateboarding park, a performing arts centre and a tennis centre. The council selected the “Golf Greens” as the location of the sports complex.